Facts and figures (2015)
*Registered unemployed persons are registered with the Employment Service of Slovenia and are actively seeking for employment.
Source: Statistical Office of the Republic of Slovenia & AJPES, 2016
Location and transport
The Obalno-Kraška Region (the coastal part and the Karst) borders on Italy and Croatia, as well as the Adriatic Sea. The fact that the region borders on Friuli-Venezia Giulia, one of Italy’s most-developed regions, makes this westernmost part of Slovenia an attractive place. The Adriatic Sea breeze and just 46 kms of the coastline give the region an edge much envied by land-locked neighbours. The cargo port of Koper gives the region huge development possibilities in all fields with transport, distribution and logistics as the most promising activities. Koper is linked to Ljubljana both by rail and the motorway.
The region is multicultural and the Italian minority has a strong presence. It is among the most successful Slovenian regions in economic and social terms.
Socio-economic characteristics of population in the Obalno-kraška region, 2015
Population aged 15 years or more by activity status and education
Source: Statistical Office of the Republic of Slovenia, 2016
The regional administrative, commercial, cultural and educational centre is Koper (51,000 inhabitants). Most members of the new University of Primorska with some 6,500 students including College of Management and Turistica - College of Tourism are located in Koper and in the vicinity.
Natural features enable the development of tourism, transport and special agricultural crops. Three quarters of gross value added are created by services. In 2014, trade, accommodation and transport activities contributed the highest share – more than a third – of gross value added in the region; most of it was created by activities in the Port of Koper and the seaside and spa tourism. The Obalno-kraška region recorded almost a quarter (22.6%) of all tourist overnights in the country in 2014.
The most important branches of the local economy include:
- manufacturing & processing industry (agri-food, automotive and furniture)
- business services
The most important companies operating in the region include:
- Adriatic Slovenica (insurance company)
- Banka Koper (banking services and producs)
- Casino Portorož (activities of casinos)
- Cimos (manufacture of parts & accessories for motor vehicles & their engines)
- CPK (maintenance of roads and motorways)
- Hoteli Bernardin (hotels and similar accommodation)
- Intereuropa (global logistic services)
- Istrabenz plini (industrial gases)
- Istrabenz turizem (hotels and similar accommodation)
- Luka Koper (cargo handling)
- Mitol (adhesives)
- OMV Slovenija (oil and gas company)
- Titus Plus (manufacture of locks and hinges)