Facts and figures (2015)
*Registered unemployed persons are registered with the Employment Service of Slovenia and are actively seeking for employment.
Source: Statistical Office of the Republic of Slovenia & AJPES, 2016
In terms of the number of inhabitants it is one of the smallest Slovenian regions.
Socio-economic characteristics of population in the Posavska region, 2015
Population aged 15 years or more by activity status and education
Source: Statistical Office of the Republic of Slovenia, 2016
The regional centre is Krško (25,800). The students living in the region enrol either in the University of Ljubljana or the University of Zagreb (Croatia).
Location and transport
The Posavska Region borders on Croatia. Thanks to the immediate vicinity of Zagreb, the capital of Croatia, with the population of 1.5 million on the one hand, and relatively good transport links (road and railway leading to Ljubljana - Zagreb), the region has a lot of potential.
The region boats a long tradition in:
- metal-processing industries
- wood-processing industries
- paper industry
- textile industry
- civil engineering & construction
The only nuclear power plant in the country and the thermal riviera at the Čatež health resort are its main features.
The region has become home to a number of foreign investors who were able to tap into the pool of skilled workforce and easily get industrial land for development or re-development.
The most important companies operating in the region include:
- Evrosad (fruit growing industry)
- Gen-I (supply of electricity and natural gas)
- Kopitarna Sevnica (manufacture of footwear)
- Kostak (water collection, treatment and supply)
- Kovis (metal products for the railway vehicles)
- Lisca (manufacture of underwear)
- Metalna Senovo (machine constructing and steel constructions making)
- NEK (nuclear power plant)
- Preis Sevnica (welding and machining of steel construction)
- Resistec UPR (manufacture of electronic components)
- Stilles (furniture and tailored furnishings)
- Terme Čatež (baths and hotels)
- Vipap Videm Krško (manufacture of paper and paperboard)
- Willy Stadler (metal construction, welding, concrete moulds, waste sorting machines ...)