Novo mesto, 16 March (STA) - Prime Minister Borut Pahor and Economy Minister Matej Lahovnik visited on Tuesday the Novo mesto-based car plant Revoz as the company launched the production of a new Renault Wind roadster. The EUR 48m investment will open 50 new jobs.
Renault tasked Revoz with building its new roadster over two years ago, Revoz CEO Ales Bratoz told the press, adding that state funds amounting to EUR 14.3m were an important factor in Renault's last year's decision to go ahead with the project.
Prime Minister Pahor told the press that the company no longer needed state aid, but hoped that the macroeconomic environment, which the government would help create, would enable it to be competitive.
The prime minister said that during the economic crisis, Slovenia and the Czech Republic were the only two countries in this part of Europe to increase car assembling. He noted that Revoz was a success story written by Slovenian people, noting that some 30,000 people lived on its success.
According to Bratoz, the Wind is the third Renault model assembled by the Novo mesto car plant, following Twingo and Clio. Over 300 employees will be working on the new car.